Monday, April 30, 2007

The Art of Shoe Shining

I am in the process of writing sponsorship offer letters to financial companies on behalf of the Austin Health 2007 Graduation Dinner Commitee, in the hope that these financial companies will sponsor us good money so that we can afford a luxurious yet subsidized graduation dinner for our bunch of graduating medical students at the end of this year.

And I am struggling.

I have never been a shoe polisher!!

Man, I feel like I want to puke having to do this. Lavishing praise and adornment to companies which I have absolutely no clue about. Words like 'well-established', 'leading company in Australia' etc etc... Feels like I am outright lying....even though these companies may very well be well established and leading companies in Australia....

Then again....hm....what harm can it be if I make others feel good about themselves and yet get the money off them. Not like they're losing out on anything right? They'll still get good exposure amongst us medical graduates...

BUt....sigh... I am fearing for the worst. Is this only a preview of what's yet to come? The endless shoe-polishing in order to get specific gains?

6 comments:

zewt said...

well... you want their money... you have to make them happy... facts of life dude...

Anonymous said...

I understand the feeling because I feel the same way too.

We did this affirmation exercise in leadership camp. Everyone were asking everyone to write something to affirm them and I honestly had a torrid time finding the right words of affirmation.

But then in that situation it was hard to say 'no'. So you'd end up having to write something to 'feed their ego'.

Come the working life, we can get expect plenty of this because lets face it, sheer hardwork and skill alone won't get u as far as 'good contacts'. Sigh.

Jazzi said...

Zewt: I dunno whether it is a FACT of life, or just a lifestyle thingie...Surely there are people who can be blunt and still get what they want? A.k.a. The devil wears prada? =)

Dektos: Hm...isn't the thing in leadership camp meant to encourage us to look at the positives of one person? Didn't realize it became an ego-feeding exercise?! LOL at good contacts. Which is precisely what I am doing now. Establishing good contact...sighs.

lcf said...

Why not write to drug companies? I would have thought that they are usually generous to doctors.

zewt said...

then you must be intelligently blunt... and throw in some humour... else, it's human nature to only favours those with pleasant words...

Jazzi said...

lcf: Haha, you're right, but for some reason we tend to like to stay away from drug companies whenever possible, as we don't really want to be 'bound' into an unspoken contract with them...financial management companies are more generic, and there is no obligation at all. Drug reps are like vultures man. Scary people. At least that's my impression now, anyway.

Zewt: That's another skill i need to master...hm.... =)