Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Pill-popping old people



Did you know, that the average number of pills taken by Australian elderly people (elderly being above 80) is 10 pills?!

TEN bloody pills!

Imagine being old, and forgetting half the things you do that day, and having to sort out which pill to take when, and what these pills are for....

Part of the problem is, us damn doctors are too lazy to try to figure out which pills they don't really need, especially the ones they have been taking since they were 30.

You could almost hear doctors say: "Ah what harm can it do if they continue to take it, they have been on it for Nx1000 years what, what for I take them off now. Besides, I earn more if they take more pills..."

Man, if I had my way, I would force all doctors to take all 10 of those pills for 2 years, and see how they feel about it. Not just the having-to-remember-what-pill-to-take-and-when part, but also the omg-these-pills-are-making-me-nuts part.

Or maybe I should get all doctors to take salt+pepper+vinegar+ginger+garlic+onion+bitterguord+oystersauce+chilli+tomato+roticanaikuah+tomyum+egg+yongtaufoo. Maybe top it off with some rojak. That's probably how old people feel when they take all those pills. making-me-nuts.

Anyway, on a seperate note, please do take care of your health. You may be invincible now, but next thing you know, you may be asking me the same question:

"Doc, I can't remember whether it was the blue pill i was supposed to take, or the pink one?"

No comments: