Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Passion


Are you passionate enough?


We often indulge in hobbies because we enjoy the sense of achievement and satisfaction these hobbies bring us. We play computer games, we go clubbing, we play sports, we go shopping, etc etc, and we proudly tell others: "Oh I spend a lot fo time on my hobbies because i'm passionate about my hobbies".


But when asked why don't they make their hobby into their career, most people will shrug and say: "You don't need to earn money doing the things you love, because you love it so much you won't mind doing it for free..."


I say:


If we're not serious enough about the things we love to make a living out of them, then we're probably not passionate enough about them.


Think about it. Tiger Woods. One mention of that name, and you will know he is passionate about golf. Muhammad Ali. Boxing. Bill Gates. Computers. Donald Trump. Real estate. Warren Buffet. Shares.


Only amateurs indulge in hobbies. They only play for fun. And quite obviously, they are NOT passionate enough about it. Professionals play for keeps, and I dare anyone to question professional's passion towards the things they do for a living. Professionals would also do the things they love for free, but then if they had to spend lots of time doing things they weren't passionate about just to make money to survive, how much time would they actually have to indulge in the things they love doing?


I've already decided that I will be taking the things I'm passionate about and make them into my sources of income. At the moment, they are: Kids, Music, Sport, Art. And I have every intention of building businesses related to these passions of mine.


Already I can read a lot of your thoughts. While you may think i'm too naive and have not gone through the hard knocks of life to know how hard it is to acheive the things I want to achieve, I believe that when someone is passionate enough, it doesn't matter how many hard knocks it takes, one will succeed eventually.


Are you passionate enough?

No comments: