Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Disappointment


We often are disappointed at the people we truly care about. It seems the more we care about someone, the easier it is to be disappointed by them. And the bigger the disappointment.


My explanation for this is that the more we care about someone, the higher our expectations of them. And disappointment happens because the reality does not meet our expectations.


Many times we don't really need to experience disappointment. All we really need to do is learn how to lower our expectations for the ones we love. There is a popular phrase that goes "If you love someone you let them go free, if it's meant to be they will come back to you". A little rephrasing by me, and now it goes "If you love someone you lower your expectations for them, and if it's meant to be they will surpass your expectations". I mean, really, if we love someone, then all we want is for them to be happy. How can they be happy if we show our disappointment to them just because they don't meet our expectations? I find that when I lower my expecations towards others, I am more likely to be pleasantly surprised when they surpass my expectations. More things to be happy about! =).


So just remember. If we can't change the people we love, we change ourselves. That is one secret to happiness.




No comments: