Saturday, March 22, 2008

Meaningless conversations

Have you ever felt that you were engaged in a meaningless conversation?

I have been feeling a lot of that recently. Perhaps it is because I have changed. And sometimes I wonder whether I have changed for the better or worse.

Nowadays I find a lot of conversations meaningless because they tend to focus too much on too little a detail. I find it particularly frustrating especially when people in the conversations are so focused on proving their point that they don't even bother to really sit back and take a little time to digest what the other party is trying to say before conjuring up a response. I mean, what are conversations really all about? Shouldn't it be about meaningful interaction between people? If we are so focused on making our voice heard, is that really meaningful interaction?

I wonder.

Give it a try. During a conversation, before your tongue starts going on like a runaway train, pause, take a deep breath, and ask yourself what you are really trying to achieve by saying the things you are about to say. Also ask yourself whether you have really understood what the other party was trying to convey to you.

It works wonders when you give it a try. Brings out a whole new meaning to conversations.

1 comment:

hjx said...

I know a lot of people around me now talk for the sake of talking. They don't talk as if they care what other people is talking.

In such times, I just keep quiet.