Monday, March 17, 2008

Macro vs Micro


A friend named Yi Qiu sent me a long message on Facebook, she painstakingly explained the whole process of macrocosmic vs microcosmic attitudes to life. Summarising these 2 concepts would be an analogy like this:





Are you the ant, or King Kong? Are you one that works better with the little details, or one that sees the big picture?





I believe macro vs microcosmic attitudes are two extremes of a continuum, most of us are a complex mixture of both attitudes. Some just have a tendency to sway heavily in favour of either side.




I believe I certainly am more of a macrocosmic person. Often I find myself taking a step back from everything, and think about the bigger picture. Oddly, seeing the macrocosmic picture helps me align the microcosmic part of things. For example, by pausing and thinking what I want to achieve in my future (the bigger picture), I am able to work out the things I need to do on a daily/weekly basis in order to help me get to where I want to be.




Having said that, I truly respect the people who are microcosmically oriented. These are like the lubricant that keeps engines going. In *my work setting, nurses are great microcosmic people. They are able to pay attention to all the details, and iron out all the mistakes I make unintentionally. Not to mention the TLC (tender loving care) they are able to provide patients. I've made an effort to learn from them, like giving that much needed smile and love to patients who have been suffering in hospital, offering a reassuring squeeze to the palms of these patients.



That I believe keeps me in balance, so I do not forget to keep in touch with the little things that matter.


So have you worked out whether you are more macrocosmic or microcosmically oriented yet?

No comments: