Thursday, March 29, 2007

Empowering ourselves as Voters

Today I browsed through the main website of Barisan National (BN) and Democratic Actions Party (DAP). I did it because I felt that if I were to ever vote for one of them in Malaysia, I would at least have to know of the visions of the parties that I am voting for.

I must say, both parties' visions were quite equally persuasive. One would find it quite hard to choose between them based on just their visions alone.

In BN's website, there was a election results page that showed the number of seats taken by each party. Seemed that BN's support is getting stronger and stronger.

How scary. Imagine a total Malaysian monopoly by BN. Can't help but feel that even if it did start off good, it would turn sour, because of the lack of competition.

But, I see a brighter side to things. In BN's website I noticed that they boast of having increased the percentage of Malaysians who have studied up til Form5 from 65% in 1980 to 80% in the late 90s or 2000s.

That means, more educated Malaysians. And hopefully, with the ever advancing techonology, the majority of us better educated Malaysians can make use of alternative media (eg INTERNET) to access better information about the current state of Malaysia, the current performance of government ministers, the background of political candidates, etc etc before making conscious AND informed decisions as to whom we are voting for.

I read somewhere that at least 25 million Malaysian non-bumis have immigrated to better pastures becaues of inequality of treatment in Malaysia. Best wishes to them. However, to those who choose to remain in Malaysia, our home country, I urge you to start empowering yourselves with knowledge about our country's situation from a variety of sources. NOW. Especially if you think our country can be improved. Your vote counts.

(haha of course, let me remind all of you who are eligible to vote to register to vote ASAP).

1 comment:

zewt said...

where there is an area the opposition is strong... BN will split the area and ensure they have some seat somewhere.

there may be more form5 grads... but what's the quality. last time during my parents' day... a form 5 grad is good enough for a desk job... now? even a degree holder's competence is in question... ok, i think i am being too critical.